Malaria is a risk for 97% of Nigeria’s population. The remaining 3% of the population live in the malaria free highlands. There are an estimated 100 million malaria cases with over 300,000 deaths per year in Nigeria. This compares with 215,000 deaths per year in Nigeria from HIV/AIDS.
Malaria is a disease caused by a parasite. The parasite is transmitted to humans through the bites of infected mosquitoes. People who have malaria usually feel very sick, with a high fever and shaking chills.
Doctors divide malaria symptoms into two categories:
Uncomplicated malariaMalaria is passed on by the Anopheles mosquito.
A doctor would give this diagnosis when symptoms are present, but no symptoms occur that suggest severe infection or dysfunction of the vital organs.
This form can become severe malaria without treatment, or if the host has poor or no immunity.
Symptoms of uncomplicated malaria typically last 6 to 10 hours and recur every second day.
Some strains of the parasite can have a longer cycle or cause mixed symptoms.
As symptoms resemble those of flu, they may remain undiagnosed or misdiagnosed in areas where malaria is less common.
In uncomplicated malaria, symptoms progress as follows, through cold, hot, and sweating stages:
- A sensation of cold with shivering
- Fever, headaches and vomiting
- Seizures sometimes occur in younger people with the disease
- Sweats, followed by a return to normal temperature, with tiredness
In areas where malaria is common, many people recognize the symptoms as malaria and treat themselves without visiting a doctor.
In severe malaria, clinical or laboratory evidence shows signs of vital organ dysfunction.
Symptoms of severe malaria include:
- fever and chills
- impaired consciousness
- prostration, or adopting a prone position
- multiple convulsions
- deep breathing and respiratory distress
- abnormal bleeding and signs of anemia
- clinical jaundice and evidence of vital organ dysfunction
Severe malaria can be fatal without treatment.
How is Malaria Treated?
Malaria can be a life-threatening condition, especially if you’re infected with the parasite P. falciparum. Your healthcare Provider may prescribe SUMETHER PLUS a fast relief medication